VS500M-P Law Enforcement
ALERT: Motor vehicle-related incidents are a leading cause of line-of-duty deaths
for law enforcement officers in the United States.
The need is clear. Law enforcement officers need better training before they’re behind the wheel.
Virage Simulation’s VS500M-P is the only law enforcement driving simulator designed with an Integrated Training Approach. That means the VS500M-P’s training programs go beyond basic, stand-alone scenarios. Each training module for the VS500M-P presents officers with progressively more complex missions that test and enhance their decision-making skills.
Reinforces driving policies and safety programs to develop a consistent culture of safety on the roadway. Evaluates and remediates drivers of all experience levels and improves overall performance.
Guides drivers through the different phases of turning, backing, U-Turns, and blind spots checks.
Focuses on a driver’s decision-making skills. Most negative consequences result from errors in judgment, not lack of driving skill. The VS500M-P provides safe, efficient-training in law enforcement’s unique driving environments addressing intersection clearing, pursuit management, and situational awareness to develop behaviors that reduce collisions.
Virage Simulation has been at the forefront of research-based instructional design for drivers of all types of vehicles.
The VS500M-P reinforces driving policies and safety programs to develop a consistent culture of safety on the roadway.
Enforcement Driving Simulator
- Integrates Proficiency-based Practice training with feedback and guidance, reducing the need for constant instructor support
- Includes a complete driver training and evaluation package
- Full simulation of most widely used law enforcement vehicles
- Provides detailed scorecards with full reporting
- Enables remote instructor supervision
- Built using actual OEM seat, steering wheel, seat belt, controls, accelerator and brake pedals, cabin with an operational ventilation system
- High-performance, compact three-axis motion system
- Multi-function touch display for a wide range of law enforcement controls
- Realistic steering wheel behavior based on actual measurement of the forces acting on the wheel during turning maneuvers
The Virage Simulation VS500M-P is the most innovative, realistic, and advanced
law enforcement driving simulator on the market.
The VS500M-P Law Enforcement Simulator
delivers a fully immersive driving experience
Comes equipped with high fidelity 5.1 surround sound providing realistic directional sound cues correlated with road conditions, engine RPM, and speed.
Additional realism is provided by sounds from other vehicles, including the simulation of the Doppler Effect.
The motion/vibration system consists of a compact three-axis platform with electric actuators. The simulator provides acceleration cues, engine vibration, and road texture feedback as a function of the car speed and road surface. Motion cues at a frequency up to 100 Hz are achieved.
- Three commercial-grade, high-resolution 4K (3840 x 2160 pixels per channel) displays provide a full 180-degree physical field of view using high-end, 55-inch visual displays that provide viewing comfort, full immersion, and a 1:1 graphic-to-optic representation
- High-quality visual scenes provide realistic cues for speed and distance perception
- Adjustable vehicle mirrors
- Visual Scene Environments provide visual resolution accuracy of cities, highways, industrial complexes, farmland, and mountainous terrain.
- One out of four vehicle accidents can be blamed on poor backing techniques with backing accidents causing 500 deaths and 15,000 injuries per year. (National Safety Council)
- Virage Simulation has you covered. TheVS500M-P provides all the visual information drivers need to develop situational awareness when maneuvering on public roads.
Easy-to-Use Operator Station
- Trainers can focus attention on driving behaviors and provide timely corrections and coaching.
- Time of day and weather, fog, rain, snow, and wind of variable intensities, are selected through a simple cursor.
- The helicopter view allows for a quick exterior view of the vehicle within the driving environment.
- The positions of the gas, brake, and vehicle speed are monitored on the operator station display.
- Instructors can reposition stationary, moving vehicles, pedestrians, and objects by simply dragging and dropping them on the map.
- The optional scenario-building tool enables instructors to create their own scenarios.
- Start and stop the scenarios (training sessions)
- Introduce Vehicle Malfunctions
- Control the Radio Chatter
Performance Feedback :
A scorecard and full report are presented to the driver during and at the end of
the training session. Impactful driver assessments can be saved.
Virage simulators can objectively measure driver performance to determine meaningful benchmarks based on vehicle control metrics, error rates, and task completion times.
The Driver TrackerTM helps instructors and training center managers oversee their drivers progress. This invaluable tool provides an overview of the training sessions attempted and successfully completed by each driver and their performance scores, where applicable.
More detailed performance information is available by clicking on the display. This drill-down approach provides immediate access to all the information captured by the simulator.
Detailed statistical information on the usage of the simulator, as well as drill down filters to access results by driver, group, and instructor are available to show usage and performance information.
Progressive Law Enforcement Training
The most important aspect of a driver training simulator is the quality of the programmed scenarios. A high-quality training scenario is designed using insights from expert trainers to reproduce all the critical situations and feedback required for learning vehicle control at high speeds to help drivers develop correct anticipation and responses to driving hazards. These training programs are designed to address the entire range of unique driving challenges facing law enforcement, from basic skills to more advanced maneuvers.
The Virage training programs aim at ensuring that each cognition and behavior in a complex driving sequence is understood and learned correctly, practiced extensively until mastery is achieved, and then evaluated thoroughly. These stimulating and engaging learning experiences enhance training efficiency and increase retention and transfer to the real world.
Advanced Training Programs:
- Intersection clearing
- Emergency response
- Pursuit management and intervention
- Commentary drive
- Backing up
- Winter Operations including Skid Prevention and Control
Essential Skills Programs:
- Defensive Driving:
- Perception, Reaction, Braking Distances
- Risk Zones and Safety Margin
- Visual Awareness including blind spot and mirrors management
- Hazard Perception and Anticipation
- Distracted Driving
- New technologies (Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Departure, Collision Mitigation)
- Driver Evaluations
Invest in The Safety of Your Officers and Citizens
with Virage Simulation’s Driver Training Solutions
In the last 10 years, on average, one officer per week has been killed on our nation’s roads (2010-2019 = 53 deaths per year).1 Most years, motor vehicle-related incidents — including crashes and being struck by moving vehicles while on foot — are the main cause of death for officers.
From 2006-2019, 809 officers died due to motor vehicle related incidents (struck by and crashes) – 43% of all line-of-duty deaths. 1 (National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund)
You need a driver safety program to save lives
and to reduce the risk of life-altering injuries within your workforce.
1 National Law Enforcement Memorial Fund . Causes of law enforcement deaths.